Wednesday, June 30

6/29 Regarding coupons

I'm not doing as many shifts as I used to. For some reason I haven't been getting scheduled Saturday nights (can't decide if this is for punishment or not, don't know what I'd be being pushed for) and after I get done with both of my vacations I may holler about it or just start showing up unscheduled daring them to send me home on a Saturday night. Right now, I'm enjoying having a night when other people are available to do things and I'm not having to go through explaining that yes, I can go out, no, I don't know when I will get off, it's usually not late but sometimes things happen and I'll text when I'm cashing out.

Anyway, I worked last night. It rained... a little. Luckily the usual morons on the road who completely lose their ability to function when it rains stayed home. Unluckily, they stayed home and ordered pizza. I say unluckily, because we still weren't that busy, but the tips were terrible. Here's a helpful bulletpointed piece of information if you didn't already know:
  • If you have a coupon for a free pizza, tip based on your original total. For example, if you have a coupon for a free two topping pizza and you order a large onion and mushroom pizza (which by the way, our mushrooms looked disgusting yesterday) and an order of cheesesticks, your total at the door will be $9.19 (yes, our cheesesticks are that expensive). However, your total before a discount was in the neighborhood of $24. In other words, that coupon was worth $15. Giving me a $10 bill is not acceptable. You should tip the minimum amount of $3. Heck, you just saved $15! Perhaps, $5 would be in order. Paying a total of $15 including delivery fee, tax, and tip for a large pizza and cheesesticks, is pretty damn good. $0.81 for delivering to you in the rain is not. And damn straight I'm taking your coupon away, you don't deserve free pizza.
I greatly appreciated the one $5 tip I did get, especially since it followed up a complete stiff (the kind where I give change and they don't give any of it back).

I made $24 off of 7 deliveries. That's $2.13 average tip per delivery. Lame.

3 comments:

somesoma said...

We don't even carry coins; we round up for all of our change. Only one person has ever complained to me about this, accusing me of making an excuse to pocket an extra 50 cents. Yeah, I really needed that pack of Juicy Fruit after my shift, so I definitely schemed to get her to pay for it. Anyway, I recommend rounding up to nearest dollar (ex. order total is $12.93, customer gives you $20, give back $7 and take $13. Refusing extra 7 cents is up to you, but in general, nobody seems to care about their change.) This can turn most $2 tips into nearly $3 tips. Most really do not care to get coins back, in my experience.

somesoma said...

Just to follow up in case any readers think I am scheming, carrying coins is extremely inconvenient. Imagine if you will: I have two deliveries - the first order total is $15.45, and the second is $18.19. First customer would technically be entitled to $.55 change if paying by cash and no coins given, and second $.81. In order to accommodate this scenario, the driver has to either A) interrupt the manager from whatever he/she is doing to make change for $2 in all four types of coin so first customer gets back 2 quarters and 1 nickel and second gets 3 quarters, 1 nickel, 1 penny--and that's just one run!, or B) constantly keep up with coin change to satisfy both scenarios, thus carrying around as much as say $5 in coins, and risk insulting future customers by offering coins to insinuate that they are cheapskates who will not tip anyway. We are honestly doing the customers a favor by rounding up, generally speaking. Those who wish for exact change should specify when ordering because they should anticipate the above scenarios I've described.

Alex said...

some advice - get an education and you won't have to work shitty jobs like pizza delivery.